Sunday, May 15, 2005

Importance of a Solid Business Plan and Business Model

Perhaps the most important factor in the success of a company in any country, but especially Argentina is coming up with a solid business plan. Everyone has great ideas but how many people follow through with those ideas? Not many. In a country like Argentina, it takes much more than a great idea to make it. You must formulate a business plan and keep working on it until it is perfect. Even after it is perfect, pitch your business plan and business model to all your business associates, lawyers, family and friends. Talk to your acquintances that may work for financial institutions as well. Present your business plan to every single one of them until every single one of them tells you that you have a good idea that they deem to be viable. If even one of them points out flaws in your plan, keep changing it until it is perfect.

The moment of truth. Once you perfect your business model and everyone tells you how great of an idea it is, ask them if they would want to become an investor in the company you were forming. If it is such a great idea and you thought your business plan was solid and you pitched it correctly, you should have people interested in what you are trying to put together. If you just get a few people that say they would invest you have accomplished something. Once you make it through all those steps, don't move forward unless you are well funded.

Put some serious time and money into researching your business plan. In my quest to do business in Argentina, I came down to Argentina about 17 times over the course of 2.5 years. Each trip I would make a few contacts. More than anything, I wanted to learn how things operated here. It is imposible to understand just how rotten the system is until you are working here on a daily basis. It is not just one segment of the work industy. It is rampant problems throughout the system.

There is no such thing as "easy money" here in Argentina. I am routinely working 12-14 hours a day and making a fraction of what I made in the USA. Still, I see progress on a daily basis and I know I am creating a valuable entity. Although I tested the waters back in 2002, I didn't move down to Argentina permanently until August 2004. Because of the hard work and dedication over the course of 2+ years putting together a solid business plan, after only 9 months I am already getting unsolicited offers from individuals and corporations from outside Argentina to purchase my company and several of my owned properties.

Don't get discouraged by others that tell you that you are foolish to want to try to start a business in South America. Everyone told me that it was a mistake to quit a lucrative career in the USA and move here. Now, after only a few months, those same people are telling me that they are envious and wish they had the courage to follow their dreams as I did. Anything is possible but remember that it takes a solid business plan, dedication and a lot of hard work, and enough capital to get started and operate for the first few years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home